1. Too expensive. To access some virtual worlds, you must pay a fee. However, many, such as Second Life®, have a free account option. So, don’t let this stop you from joining in.
2. Sex everywhere. Virtual worlds do have a lot of sex related locations and events, as it happens in Real Life (RL). Having said this, it’s not all about sex. Choose your destinations according to your interests and you’ll never see adult material.
3. Drama queens galore. As in RL, drama is relative! Surround yourself with people who are not prone to having bouts of drama and you’ll be fine. However, should you find yourself in the middle of unexpected drama, don’t hesitate to choose one of two options - teleport away or just click that little square thingy at the top of the viewer, the one with an X in the middle, and nip it in the bud!
4. People suck. It’s true that some groups, especially those meeting on a regular basis, for example at discussions, are usually close-knit groups and its members often have a very particular way of interacting. As a new member, it might be difficult to fit in. Don’t feel discouraged though. Take your time. Observe at first, and then start participating actively.
5. Boredom proliferates. The endless route of going club hopping is as good a choice as any other. The problem becomes evident when boredom sets in. So, try diversifying your virtual experience. You can go for a walk, go to a concert, a theater play, visit an art exhibition, go shopping, attend a reading event and, of course, writing sessions!